Official Charity of The 2016 Cape Breton Open
The PGA TOUR family, including the Mackenzie Tour - PGA TOUR Canada has raised over $2.3 billion dollars for charity over the years. No other sport donates more to where it is needed most. The tour and its players are very proud of these facts.
The Mackenzie Tour - PGA TOUR Canada is proud to announce its continued support of the Cape Breton Regional Hospital Foundation. Charitable contributions from the 2016 Cape Breton Open will help support the Cape Breton Cancer Center - Cancer Patient Care Fund.
Cape Breton Cancer Centre - Cancer Patient Care Fund
In 2005, the Cape Breton Cancer Centre identified that financial struggle was weighing on many patients undergoing treatment. Cancer Centre Social Worker, Tom MacNeil has been working with the Cape Breton Regional Hospital Foundation over the last 11 years to ensure that no patient is without life’s basic necessities and medications during their illness.
- The Cancer Patient Care Fund is 100% donor funded and would not exist without the generosity and support of the community
- Often when someone in the community is diagnosed with cancer, their ability to work can be compromised and the fund helps to ease the financial burden during their sickest days
- Every year there are 1,200 new diagnoses of cancer in Cape Breton
- Each day, more than 150 patients are treated in the Cape Breton Cancer Centre
Cancer Patient Care Fund Quick Facts
- The Fund supports 30 patients a month
- The Fund has more than tripled in three years
- In 2015, the Fund disbursed more than $312,000 to patients in need
- The Fund helps to alleviate financial burden during treatment
- The Fund is only available to local patients being treated at the Cape Breton Cancer Centre
- The most common areas of support include: pharmacy costs, travel costs, lodging, dental, household costs